Ever wonder how to make your own Kombucha? I got you! The process is waaaaayyyy easier than you might expect. So check out the video and directions below and you’ll be brewing your own “booch” in no time!
Here’s a quick checklist of things you’ll need to get started:
1) SCOBY & Starter fluid – Symbiotic Culture of Bacteria & Yeast and a little Kombucha from the last batch of booch, or you can add a bottle of your favorite, unflavored store bought Kombucha in with your Scoby.
2) 1 Gallon Distilled Water
3) 1 Cup Sugar
4) Glass Vessel
5) Paper Towel/clean light towel or cloth
6) Rubber Band large enough to fit snug around the rim of your glass vessel
7) 8-10 tea bags of choice
8) optional organic juice/spices, for added flavor
MAKE SURE YOUR HANDS AND ALL ITEMS ARE CLEAN! NEVER USE OR REUSE A MOLDY SCOBY. THEY CAN HAVE BROWN SPECS BUT NEVER MOLD! PARTICLES OF DUST/DEBRIT/CRITTERS ATTRACTED TO SUGAR CAN CONTAMINATE YOUR YOUR SCOBY & BOOCH, SO BE CLEAN AND CAREFUL! Disclaimer, I’ve been brewing for several years now and this has never happened to me, so just be sure to always have clean hands, vessels, utensils, and you’ll be fine 😉
1) Boil Water
2) Stir in Sugar
3) Add tea bags
4) Cover. Turn off heat and let tea steep 5-10mins
5) Remove Tea bags. Cover and let sweet tea cool. Option to place in fridge
6) Add SCOBY to clean glass jar or vessel along with starter fluid (starter fluid is left over kobucha from a previous brew, or you can use a store bought unflavored Kombucha) **
7) Add room temp or cooler sweet tea to vessel
8) Cover with paper towel or cloth and rubber band tightly around the rim of vessel
9) Store in a cool, dry, place for 7-10 days. Taste. Option to wait 14 to up to 30 days.
10) Option to drink directly from vessel (if you have a vessel with a nozzle, so you can pour it into a glass) or pour Kombucha into other bottles/jars and place in fridge to stop fermentation. Keep SCOBY and a little kombucha( as starter fluid for your next Kombucha brew) in SCOBY Hotel. Get ready to add another SCOBY to your hotel with every batch of bootch made
11) Option to add juice or spices as additional flavoring to kombucha bottle(s). Don’t run the risk of contaminating SCOBY… only add these items to separated fermented sweet tea/komboucha.
**in my case here, i actually cut one large SCOBY (like the one in the photo below) into several pieces and separated it along with starter fluid into several smaller jars for gifts. You can absolutely cut SCOBY to share or to make smaller to suit size of the vessel you are using 😉
1) Keep everything covered
2) Make sure your hands and everything you use are sterilized and clean
3) SCOBY vessel/hotel is fine unattended in a cool dry place for up to 3 months. If you don’t plan to brew for longer than that amount of time, either make some sweet tea and place it in the hotel just to feed your SCOBY babys, or place it all in the fridge to stop the fermentation process temporarily
YogaRida aka Chevy 😉